Sunday 4 March 2018



Imagery as a dancer and performer can aid our expression.
I came across this quote today and it spurred thoughts for me.
We see millions of people and objects in our life. However, Imagery is the ability we have to recreate these images we have seen.
Therefore, it confirms many articles I have read about imagery and how imagery cues are only beneficial if we can provide more than one as a teacher. In a lesson, a teacher may use an image but this may only be relatable to one out of a handful of students. Some forms of imagery rely heavily on us as performers to have experienced or the ability to create an idea of an image or object. The end product would also be individual to you as a performer. It would be very strange if we all recalled experiences/images or objects exactly the same.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this idea!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jess,
    I completely agree that it is necessary for a teacher to try out a number of different images on students. Whilst I was training my teachers would often use visual images and I generally found that I could relate very well to most of them. However, I remember some of the other students getting annoyed at the constant reference to a certain image, telling me that it did nothing for the except annoy and frustrate them with the repetition. This is an indication of just how important individual visualisation and imagery can be.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete