Wednesday 22 March 2017

Finding the perfect job!!!

After reading Eleanor's blog it triggered something I have been thinking about for a couple of weeks. For me, I have learned a lot about myself since beginning on the course. I realised that I am most efficient when I am busy and have to make an organised schedule for myself. I love routine. This is difficult in the life of a performer and a steady routine is something rare in our lives.
The tricky bit for a performer is finding the balance between working to stay alive and paying the bills and having time to develop your professional performance skills and attend auditions.
I still feel like I haven't found the right balance between the two. In January I barely had time to draw my breath, I was so busy with work and then had three weeks of auditioning for various shows and cruises that I didn't have time to work. Currently, I am finding that I don't have a busy schedule with work or auditions. I am trying my best to still go to class every week and singing lessons once every two weeks but it's tough to keep a handle on finances when there is a lot going out and not so much coming in.
I was then offered a week of teaching in Ireland at the beginning of the week starting on Tuesday 28th March. At first I was unsure whether to take it or not as I felt like I wasn't solving the problem of not having the right job in London. But then I thought of the short term benefits. I would get to spend a week at home teaching children that are energetic and eager, I would be able to develop my choreographic skills as I have been asked to create some pieces for the summer show and last but not least I will be busy, meaning I can create a timetable where I can sure I can get work done for me degree in the morning, go to the gym and then teach my classes in the afternoon. As performers I think we all panic when we get offered work, we always think what if an audition comes up and I have work. But I have decided that we cannot live like this and if something crops up I will work around this.
So really what is the perfect job for performers??
I have tried retail work with agencies but really try and avoid it because I find the work unfulfilling and if the store is quiet the day can feel very long. I work at events as a hostess which I do enjoy as the job is sociable and I meet other performers who are on the same wave length as myself. I worked with a lady older than myself who was once a performer, she told me to never forget the reason you are working these jobs as it is easy to get side tracked with a regular income and you begin to lose interest in what your passion is. This is something that has always stuck with me, I don't have excess moment to spend on nice things but I also haven't forgotten what it is I really want to do.
A survey by Equity showed that at least two thirds of actors are out of work at any given time. Sometimes people ask, why do you do this? You have to deal with rejection, overcrowded auditions, working jobs you don't want to do? But my answer is that if I never try to do what I love I'll always think what if? I don't feel in any rush to have my life sorted out at the age of twenty three!!
For now, I am going to continue looking for that job that suits me and my career. I am also beginning to try new hobbies. I am going to my first Pilates class tomorrow morning and who knows, I might end up finding a new career option from a new hobby!!

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant read Jess, literally some of the same thoughts buzzing around my own head.
    I think I function best when I am productively busy but not overtired. It's hard to strike the balance.
    I think it's great you're going to Ireland to work on teaching children and choreographing - I believe opportunities arise for a reason. I was offered a summer camp for the end of July / early August in London, teaching acting. I was tentative to accept this offer because of things that 'might' collide with this commitment but then, on further reflection, I thought 'What am I afraid of?' These are great opportunities for our teaching CVs, and if something cropped up in our professional lives then we could always find a way out.
    Like yourself, I find starting off my timetable with a gym session is helpful - no matter how much in my life is unstable; starting off the day with a gym session is always a reliable building block.
    Pilates is great! Maybe we could do a class together sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you're definitely right, we always find a way to work things out so we should not be afraid of taking opportunities in case something else might come up. Yes I find if you start the day right you are more inclined to be productive for the rest of the day!! And yes trying new things is great to do, a Pilates class together sometimes sounds like a plan!!

    ReplyDelete