Wednesday 29 March 2017

Task 2C: What kind of learner am I?

After reading Reader 2 I was interested in learning more about the different ways people learn. A well as performing, I teach kids dance and musical theatre and it is interesting to see how different ways of learning click with some and not others. I never really thought about the theory of how we all begin to learn at different stages. This led me to do some further research into Kolb's cycle.





Kolb's cycle shows the four stages of where people may enter learning. However, Kolb believed that the cycle is most effective when the learner touches on each stage of learning. Kolb also believed that there were four learning styles that he included in the cycle.These are diverging, assimilating, converging and accomodating.

Diverging: "Feeling and watching" People who prefer to watch rather than do. These learners love to brainstorm ideas. They are also interested in people as opposed to just theories and facts. They are emotional and imaginative.

Assimilating: "Watching and thinking" These learner require a clear explanation as opposed to a practical opportunity. They are less interested in people and more concerned with concepts and ideas. People with this style of learning prefer readings, lectures and having time to think things through.

Converging: "Doing and thinking" These learners are great problem solvers. They prefer technical tasks and are less concerned about people and feelings. They are great at solving a problems by finding solutions to questions and experimenting with new ideas.

Accomodating: "Doing and feeling" This is the "hands-on" learner. These people rely on their instincts and feelings rather than logic. These are learners who love a challenge and carrying out plans. They also tend to rely on information others have gathered.

Honey and Mumford developed a theory based on Kolb's learning cycle. They created four stages of learning as:

  • Having an experience
  • Reviewing the experience
  • Concluding form the experience
  • Planning the next steps
Based on Kolb's learning cycle they identified four learning styles also these are:
  • Activist: People who learn by doing and who like to dive in with both feet first!!
  • Theorist: People who like to understand the theory behind the actions. They like to research, models, statistics and background information.
  • Pragmatist: These learners like to see how their ideas can be put into use in the real world.
  • Reflector: These learners like to think about what has happened in order to develop. They are unlike activists as they don't like to leap in and would prefer to sit back, watch and analyse from the sidelines.
These link to Kolb's cycle of Active Experimentation (Activist), Reflective Observation (Reflector), Abstract Conceptualisation (Theorist), Concrete Experience (Pragmatist).
Honey and Mumford developed a questionnaire to help us better understand our styles of learning. I decided to do some reading on questions that arose about the particular questionnaire. Honey and Mumford believed that people's learning styles were not set in stone and people have the ability to change their learning styles either willingly or by change of circumstances.They were of the belief that people "Deliberately set out to strengthen an underdeveloped style and thus become a more rounded learner" Also a change in job may alter your learning style. For example, moving from a job that had a quick pace of moving and a hands on approach, to one that had a stronger use of research, analysis of data and reflecting on tasks would cause a person to change their learning style to the theorist or reflector approach. However, Honey and Mumford do highlight that in their Questionnaire that it is sometimes difficult to see what kind of learner we are. As someone who is naturally a Reflective learner may outwardly behave as an Activist because they may feel the pressure professionally to act this way. This is why a third party opinion may not always be right as it is possible that "We may behave one way whilst feeling/thinking another way"
Howard Gardner's theory helps us to better understand people's way of learning. He introduced the idea that people have intelligence in multiple areas. These are:
  • Spatial : This is the ability to use patterns and space to learn, they are very aware of their surrounding environment.
  • Verbal-Linguistic : The ability to learn languages and use language to achieve goals. Also the ability to use language to remember information.
  • Logical-Mathematical : People who have the ability to solve mathematical problem and have a scientific approach to research and investigations.These people are taught well by using logic games or investigations.
  • Kinesthetic : This the ability to have natural body co-ordination and an awareness of the body and it's movements. A person who learns well through physical activity.
  • Musical: People who have a strong sense of rhythm and ability to compose and recognize musical pitch and tonality. They may learn better by turning learning into lyrics or speaking rhythmically to memorize quotes or phrases. 
  • Interpersonal: People who learn well through interaction. They have a good understanding of peoples feelings and emotions. They learn well by engaging in group activities.
  • Intrapersonal : A person who has a good understanding of their own personal like interests and goals.They are in sync with their inner feelings and learn well through independent learning.
  • Gardner also speaks about VAK which is the idea of Visual, Auditory and Kinesthetic learners. Some people may learn better through seeing things or obesrving (Visual), some may learn by listening to others explain (Auditory) and some may learn by physically experiencing(Kinesthetic)
I also thought about what ways I engaged with understanding and learning. When I was at school, I always used to learn any material by saying it rhythmically or singing it. From a performance perspective, I know that I have a strong musical intelligence as I pick up harmonies and rhythms easily. When learning scripts I find it beneficial to learn the same way I did in education by rhythmically saying the lines. I feel like I gain a lot from engaging in group activities and enjoy listening to others feeling relating to what we are learning about which shows I am an Interpersonal learner.
I believe that taking the time to think about what situations you learn best in and what tools help you learn is so beneficial for my professional practice as it helps me recognise what types of learning I need to strengthen and to use my learning skills to my advantage so that when I am in a class I can use my skills to get the most out of myself.
 In my opinion Gardner's theory is useful in a teaching situation. From my own experience it is much easier if you have an idea of the way your students learn best. For example, students who might be musically strong, it is useful to sing or clap a rhythm to them. Or if a student is mathematically strong it is useful to explain the science of a movement to them as they can almost visualise the idea of the step through their mind. For me I try and make a movement 'click' with each student so that their is understanding and reason behind what they are doing. Rather than doing it for the sake of it! The idea of VAK is also very evident in a class situation, as you can clearly see when something "clicks" with a student. If I demonstrate a move some may find that useful. For others it only begins to make sense when I speak about the movement and how it should be done and explain where each part of the body should be placed. And finally others will not make sense of a step or movement until they just try it for themselves so that they can feel how the step sits and feels on their body.

For myself in my performing career it was interesting for me to think about how I learn. Coming from a performance background I believe that we have no choice but to be Activists and begin learning on Active Experimentation. In a class situation you are not given the chance to think about something, the first step is always to "give it a go" Also there have been times in performance situations where everything doesn't go to plan. This means that you can't stop and think about how you would adapt a movement you just have to actively change what you were doing so that the step will work. This relates to Schon's theory of reflection-in-action which is reflecting while you are in the middle of the experience. This is something performers are great at because they have no other choice but to be.
For me, I found it challenging to consciously look back on an experienceas it was something I had not done.As I  am a worrier and over thinker I sometimes believe that whilst training I was pushed out of my comfort zone by not having the choice to think about something before I did it and having to just dive in and try. But I genuinely believe that I have now completely adapted my way of learning and know that I do begin learning when I actively "do" rather than think as I believe I would think myself out of trying otherwise!


References used:

Duff, A and Duffy, T. (2002) 'Psychometric properties of Honey & Mumford's Learning Styles Questionnaire (LSQ)' 33

Institute for Work Based Learning (2016) Reader 2 (2016-2017). London: Middlesex University

Lane, C (2017) 'The Distance Learning Technology Resource Guide'  Available online at:
http://www.tecweb.org/styles/gardner.html

Mcleod, S.A. (2013) 'Kolb-Learning Styles' Available online at:
https://www.simplypsychology.org/learning-kolb.html

 Mumford, A. and Honey, P. (1992) ‘Questions and answers on learning styles questionnaire’, Industrial and Commercial Training, 24(7).

Smith, Mark K. (2002, 2008) ‘Howard Gardner and multiple intelligences’ The encyclopedia of informal education. Available online at:
http://infed.org/mobi/howard-gardner-multiple-intelligences-and-education/



·    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment