Friday 31 March 2017

Skype session with Paula on Module 1 Part 3

This morning I attended to the Skype session with Paula on the Networked Professional. We spoke about how Networking is the connection between us and the bigger world and how we connect our ideas about what we do with other professionals.
We spoke about how sometimes we naturally enter a network but other times we must present our work to enable us to enter a professional network.
We then spoke about the different concepts of Professional Network. I thought about an idea relating to my Professional practice, this being how social media is such a strong form of networking in my industry and how the Facebook page "The Hustle" enables all professionals in the performing arts profession connect with one another. "The Hustle" allows casting directors, choreographers, performers, teachers etc to advertise jobs or positions they have available. Paula then asked me how I network on this page and if I comment on posts everyday. I thought about this and realised that as professionals in any area we don't want to become the professional who always has something to say but it may not always be relevant to you or the other professional you are networking with. I always make sure that I only comment on job posts on the "Hustle" are suitable to my castability. We related the word relevancy and castability in that they both relate to only networking if it is worthwhile and not just for the sake of it. Otherwise you are wasting your own time and the person you are networking with. In my profession time is of the essence so wasting another professionals time is only going to give you a bad name.
Emily and Kirsty both mentioned about how they both previously used the "Hustle" but now as they aren't auditioning as regularly anymore they both have different groups that they are members of on social media now, for example, ISTD Teachers group. This highlighted how at times our communities of practice may change due to our own professional career path.
Finally Paula spoke about the theory of Lave and Wenger, that when we enter a professional network we enter almost as an outsider and then work our way into the inner circle. However, Paula used the example of Ivanka Trump already has her own office in the White House but she didn't necessarily work her way in, she found herself in that position due to her personal status. This is no fault of hers but at times this theory isn't relatable to everyone.
I am looking forward to reading further about the Networked Professional and how it relates to myself.

1 comment:

  1. thanks Jessica - maybe the take away is that Lave and Wenger's commmunities of practice relate to most situations but there are exceptions...

    ReplyDelete