Friday 27 October 2017

Ethics in my workplace

As I teach in various different dance schools and have found that all teachers have their own ideas on how classes should be run I have created my own set of ethics for my teaching.

1. Creating a good self-image when teaching. I make sure that my hair is neat and I am dressed in suitable clothing for a dance lesson. I feel this is important because if a teacher looks sloppy and thrown together pupils may begin to think that it is acceptable for them not to be in the correct uniform and for their hair to be messy.

2. Be punctual. I always try and arrive 30 mins before a class, to make sure I have enough time to set up the studio and to be organised for when the pupils arrive. I think it is important for the kids themselves to be 10/15 mins early for class if possible, as I understand that other activities happen after school. But being 10 mins early gives them the time to get ready and not feel rushed going into class.

3. Teaching Qualifications. I am beginning my Modern Teaching Qualifications with the I.S.T.D in January. I have always felt very passionate about the importance of a teacher being qualified when teaching. Young kids are constantly developing and teachers need to be aware of the body and how to technically teach a child the necessary steps on how to correctly perform steps.

4. DBS Check. I have noticed that a lot of teachers have asked me about my DBS check as soon as I have gotten in contact with them.

5. Equal opportunities within the class, every child is made to feel included and part of the class. I make a conscious effort not to favour any particular student.

6. Social Media sharing. As I don't run my own school I have seen different ways in which teachers deal with social media and advertising. I do not share anything on facebook without consulting the owner of the school first.

7. Parent/Teacher relationship. It is important to be aware of students parents so that if anything occurs during the class whether it be an injury or a behavioural issue that you can speak to them professionally about the matter.

8. Finally, I think it is really important that every child goes home happy after a class and doesn't leave feeling they aren't good enough or upset. Corrections should always be constructive and I try not to ever sound too negative.

1 comment:

  1. It is very interesting to see that as we are all blogging the people that are teachers all have very similar views on the professional ethics in the classroom.
    I think it is very important that we all have very high morals and ethics in a classroom as then the students will feed from this, like you said 'if you are sloppy then your students will think this is acceptable'
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete