Thursday 12 October 2017

Forming a Special Interest Group

Since deciding on a broad inquiry I have began thinking about Special Interest Groups and how to decide who is relevant to you and how this group through communication can develop ideas. For me I felt like Special Interest Groups have a link with the idea of Professional Networking that we looked at in Module One. A professional Network is a connected community of people. When entering a professional network you are establishing relationships with people who can help you achieve your goals. I decided to look back on some blogs I wrote about Professional Networking. I looked back on the brainstorm I did regarding my current networks and if I could interlink my networks with my Special Interest Group. 
From the BAPP course and after our conversation on Skype I realised that Emily Richard's also teaches and her inquiry is based on teaching. Although we are not looking at the same specific topic I think that we could definitely help each other with ideas and thoughts. I have also had a read of Lauren Haprer's blog and seeing as she teaches dance and is also a teaching assistant I feel like entering into conversation with her regarding dance education for Pre-School Children would be interesting!!
This is what I've found so far, but anyone else who has a similar interest, please feel free to leave a comment!!
Outside of the BAPP course I feel like I could develop my contacts, this may be more networking but I feel that these are people I may be able to speak to about my inquiry. 
Teaching in new schools and speaking to teachers with years of experience is something I love doing and seeing their way of delivering a class. 
I am also attending a teaching seminar in London in November and beginning my teacher training course in January will be a place I can speak to people my own age beginning their teaching journey and also the lecturers with years of experience!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Jessica,
    It's nice to find somebody studying something along the same lines as you - you feel less alone and you can bounce ideas off them.
    In reply to your comment on my little blog about SIGs (about good food changing your entire mood), it made me think further about the power of mindset within the performing industry and how important this is. This includes mentally, physically (inside and out) and how different factors and mentalities in our life can affect our success. I'm not quite sure where I'd go with this yet - it may even be a sub-question beneath a bigger inquiry topic but definitely something which I think may be interesting to expand on.
    Eleanor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a really interesting topic Eleanor, like we've mentioned before it's so easy to become overwhelmed with negativity if an audition doesn't go well. For me, whenever an audition didn't go well I used say to myself, I'll have a takeaway and some treats to make myself feel better!! But really this never did make me feel better. I feel like negativity can have a domino effect on everything! It's all about balance when it comes to food but definitely something so relevant to our industry!!

      Jess

      Delete
  2. Hi Jessica,
    I am currently doing some work with teaching high school students and I am thinking of basing my inquiry along those lines as it is what I am planning to do in my career.
    I have done a few brain storms on my blogs which could be useful for you.
    Also I suggested maybe a skype call with the people that are interested in doing an inquiry regarding teachers to see if sharing our opinions and ideas can help eachother.
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirsty,

      Yes it would be great to skype and chat about our ideas! Maybe early next week if this suits you?

      Jess

      Delete
    2. Hi Kirsty like i said in my below comment to Jessica maybe you could join the SIG group to and we all can chat.

      here is the link: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/113973209285569322898

      Delete
  3. Hi Jessica I feel that we are looking at similar lines as both looking at teaching early years children except I'm looking into should it become curriculum for children to have dance/movement in school. But i feel us both talking and sharing opinions and ideas could help each other.

    I've recently set us a SIG group on google+ I would like you to join so we can post and chat.

    Heres the link below...
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/113973209285569322898

    ReplyDelete