Friday 27 October 2017

Professional Ethics?

A sentence that has got me thinking. "Professionals "profess" and know better than their clients and therefore claim exclusive right to practice" This is from Reader 5.
In the industry of the Arts there are so many different qualifications/degrees/diplomas and courses available for people to study but in the area of teaching, especially in Ireland, I believe people abuse the fact that there are so many different qualifications in the arts.
A problem that is very evident in the area of teaching dance are the correct qualifications needed for a teacher to call themselves "A fully qualified dance teacher"
I, myself have a diploma in Musical Theatre and have never claimed that I am a qualified dance teacher. Because the arts in Ireland isn't as popular as it is in other countries, I think people are of the understanding that a degree or diploma in a specific dance genre is equal to a teaching qualification.
I am of the opinion that professional dancers should definitely share their skills to young children and inspire those who want to follow in a similar career path. This is why I am in no way saying that open workshops taught by an industry professional is wrong. I think these are great opportunities and very beneficial for children who are already attending dance classes.
The biggest issue are teachers running a school without the appropriate teaching qualifications. I recently read a Facebook post written by a teacher with the R.A.D. She used the comparison, when you send a child to school you wouldn't for a second think of sending them to a school where the teachers are not qualified. So why is dance any different?
Having a degree in Business Studies doesn't make you a business teacher, you would then have to further your studies to become a qualified business teacher.
The same goes for dance, there are many professional teaching organisations such as the I.S.T.D, I.D.T.A, R.A.D, just to mention a few, who provide teacher training courses.
If a young child is taking a ballet class and they are being taught by someone who has not undergone a teacher training course you are putting your child at risk of future injuries, for example, knee injuries due to lack of understanding and awareness of correctly using your turn out.
This is why I am beginning my teacher training course in January, as much as I enjoy teaching free jazz classes and workshops I want to be able to teach a syllabus to help children improve their dance skill in a safe learning environment. This is an article I found , which was published by the B.B.C.http://www.bbc.com/news/education-35130914

4 comments:

  1. These are interesting thoughts Jessica. Like you I am a qualified professional dancer but do not yet hold teaching qualifications. I do workshops and as you say feel that it is fine to share expertise so long as you are honest about what you do or do not hold in terms of qualifications and experience. But setting up a school is a different issue I would not feel right about doing this until I became a qualified teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this article to and found it very interesting. I agree with you on workshops provided from people with the industry knowledge are beneficial to students and something new and different than just syllabus class. Even though syllabus classes are essential to help develop and improve on their dance skills with safe dance practice. Holding qualifications in dance will give you the knowledge to pass on information and be safe when executing steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting read Jessica. I am qualified in DDI and DDE Cecchetti ballet and also DDI and DDE in ISTD modern. I also hold a level 6 Diploma in professional dance. I used to be a professional dancer and now I am wanting to teach. I completly agree that you should have to have a teaching qualification to teach but I hold two of them and because I want to teach secondary schoool I am having to study futher in order to teach. I do think that if you already have a form of teaching qualification in dance then it should be made easier to teach no matter where or what age. I am allowed to teach students from the age of 2-16 in a private dance school but not yet qualified to do so in a secondary highschool. What are your thoughts?
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really interesting Kirsty, as it is different in Ireland. Is this reason due to the fact that dance is taught as an A level subject in Ireland? In Ireland it is not possible to do dance as a subject in school.

      Delete