Thursday 12 October 2017

What is a suitable inquiry for me?

During module one I was sure my inquiry would be based around dance physiotherapy. Throughout the first module I found I was interested in Learning Styles, I also was gaining more teaching experience last year. This led me to the idea of how dance and movement can benefit those with autism. Beginning module two I was certain that this was the route I wanted to take. However, things have changed!!
Doubt had entered my mind and I was worried that I was taking on a topic I didn't know enough about. Yes, having trained as a performer for four years I am knowledgeable in that area and I am constantly gaining teaching experience but autism is an area I know little about. Yes, I could do endless research but would I do it justice.
During a Skype conversation Adesola affirmed my thoughts and having read her blog post, where she explained about how the inquiry should help develop you practice not start a whole new practice. This is exactly where I was going wrong. Yes, if I had short-term goals to start a course in the area of autism and dance this would be a really helpful inquiry but currently my practice has not changed, I am still a performer with a passion for teaching.
This meant back to the drawing board for me!!
As I had decided a few months back to begin my Teaching Qualifications with the I.S.T.D I felt like a teaching related inquiry is something I could really benefit from and could develop my practice in conjunction with my teacher training course.
I began to brainstorm and currently I am reading a lot of literature related to the area of the benefits of dance and movement for Pre-School children and the different learning styles that can aid teachers in a class environment. The idea of imagery and creativity in a classroom and when a child should develop from creative movement into a more structured class plan. It's a starting point and I feel a more beneficial subject for myself and my practice!

1 comment:

  1. Hi jessica,
    I keep finding myself starting to find an inquiry and then having to start again. I think you are right how if autism isn't something that is going to be full time teaching for you then you may not do it justice. Before you fully scrap the idea I have noticed a few others in the module have done some blogs on similar things. I have found Lauren harpers blogs very interesting it might be helpful for you to have a read.
    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete