Tuesday 21 February 2017

Task 1B: Initial thoughts on Professional communication technologies

After reading through Reader 1 it really made me think about how often and usefully I use Web 2.0 professionally. I have had Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts for quite a few years but all for my own personal use. I have always been careful as to what I posted on these sites and throughout my training and listening to other professionals I realised how beneficial but also harmful sites like Facebook and Instagram can be to a performer. Once Casting Directors and Choreographers know your name it is at their discretion to search you on any social media sites. Professionally I came across Dropbox a few months ago and realised what a great tool it is for sending across self-tapes privately. This allowed my agent to view my self-tape and give her opinion on how I could develop my performance without anybody else having to see it.
The reader highlights the three competencies that are relevant to the standing of Web 2.0 within professional practice. The first being, architectures of participation. The phrase which stayed with me is "participation is a function of our ability to actually participate" I am not someone who is very technologically savvy and thought about the times I would avoid using the internet as I found it too stressful and this is why this course is also a massive challenge for me as I am now realising how Web 2.0 is vital as a performer and also other areas of teaching. Since graduating I have had to record a self-tape for an audition for TV, a Skype interview for a Theme Park in Malaysia and realised that people are employed on Cruise Ships via submitting Showreels. Facebook is also a major platform for advertising Dance Schools. At home in Ireland my mum runs her own Ballet School, a few years ago we set up a business page for the school and it has generated a lot of interest that have resulted in a lot of new pupils. However with this comes the important area of ethics. When children are involved we must have their consent before posting any pictures on our business page. Personally, I wouldn't like pictures of myself to be online without my consent. The web is used by millions of people daily and this is why it is important to carefully advertise.  I have a lot more reading to do on Web 2.0 but these are just some thoughts to start me off.

References:

Institute for Work Based Learning 2016 Reader 1 2016-2017. London: Middlesex University

No comments:

Post a Comment